Attapulgite, a naturally occurring mineral, is a crystalline hydrated magnesium alumino-silicate with a three dimensional chain structure that gives it unique colloidal and sorptive properties.Fully hydrated attapulgite grades thickens liquids without swelling. Highly thermally activated grades combine high surface area with porosity to optimize sorptivity.
The Attapulgite thickeners effectively form thixotropic colloidal gels in ionic and non-ionic aqueous solutions. They also develop thixotropic gels in most organic liquids to develop thickening and/or suspension properties when dispersed with various cationic or non-ionic surfactants. All Attapulgite products provide thixotropic viscosity in liquid systems and are not impacted by extreme changes in pH or temperatures. Contrary to many commercial thickeners, the Attapulgite products are able to build viscosity in the presence of very high salt concentrations.
Partial Replacement of Organic Thickener in Water Base
HYDROXYLGEL™ is chemically modified Hydrated Magnesium Aluminium Silicate with unique chain structure. HYDROXYLGEL™ can be used as thixotropic agent, stabilizer and anti-settling agent in latex and other general water borne formulations. HYDROXYLGEL™ works as co-thickener with cellulosic, associative and alkalis well able thickener. HYDROXYLGEL™ used for water borne system in paints, adhesives, sealants and coatings, printing inks. Thixotropy of HYDROXYLGEL™ allows Paint, Adhesive and Printing Ink to spread easily when rolled, sprayed orbrushed and than stiffen at a controlled rate. HYDROXYLGEL™ thickeners provide sag resistance, viscosity control, spread ability and excellent feathering at low cost.
They are used in paints and coatings, offering rapid dispersibility and effective thixotropic thickening, in adhesives, caulks, sealants and wallboard compounds, they provide sag resistance, viscosity control, spreadability and excellent feathering at low cost. Attapulgite thickeners build excellent thixotropic characteristics in asphalt cutbacks and emulsions. Other important applications for Attapulgite products include polishes, ceramic grouts, molecular sieve binders, wax emulsions, lubricants, liquid flowable pesticides, suspension fertilizers, liquid detergents, drilling mud, liquid animal feed and soaps.
Attapulgite Rheology Modifiers – Properties
- Performs in Water and Solvent-Borne Systems
- Provides Syneresis Control
- Consistent Performance
- Thixotropic Viscosity Modification
- Low amount of Energy needed to Disperse
- Cost Effective
- Paints and Coatings : Attapulgite is used in latex and other general waterborne formulations. Other grades which contain less residues are used in more demanding aqueous and solvent borne coatings, such as primers, topcoats, maintenance coatings, marine finishes and semi gloss and gloss enamels. Product works as co-thickeners with cellulosic, associative and alkali swellable thickeners.
- Plastics : Attapulgite controls viscosity and gives sag resistance to vinyl plastisol and epoxy systems. Thixotropic properties allow easy flow for application and prevent sag upon deposition. Attapulgite prevents settling and “float-out” in lightweight filler compounds.
- Suspension/Thickening Applications : Attapulgite products are effective suspending agents for particulate matter in ionic, non-ionic and organic liquids. They are ideal for suspending pigment slurries, refractory coatings, ceramic slurries, liquid soaps and other applications where limited mixing capabilities exist.
- Adhesives and Sealants : Attapulgite thickeners provide superior thickening, sag resistance and ease of application, especially in highly filled systems.
- Tape Joint Compounds : Attapulgite provides for smooth, scratch-free application in these thick films, as well as for sag resistance, viscosity control, spreadability and excellent feathering at low cost.
- Construction : Attapulgite can be used as a cellulosic thickener replacement in mortars in grouts. Their thixotropic properties also provide excellent pumpability and anti-sag properties in shot-crete applications.
- Agricultural : Attapulgite is used to stabilize and suspend ingredients in wet flowable pesticides formulations. Attapulgite may also be used in liquid animal feeds and suspension fertilizers.